Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Feeling RUSHED

The school year is just underway but I am feeling as if it should be May...hey, that rhymes.  Ms. Manso and I have had the library schedule in place for several weeks and by Friday, we will have seen all of the classes at least once and some of the classes twice.  For six years, Ms. Manso and I have worked side-by-side, complementing each other and kind of sharing responsibility for getting all of the work done.  Of course, nothing is ever completely done but we have worked well together, tackling all that we have to do, a little bit at a time. 

This year, with all of the district's problems and scandals, I believe the employees of EPISD are under the microscope.  Because Ms. Manso is paid with Title I funds, her duties in the library are being scrutinized and examined to determine which of her job responsibilities fall under the stringent government guidelines for Federal money.  We are still seeking clarification as to what Lorena can and cannot do but it is beginning to look like all of the book-related responsibilities are 'no-nos' and the large majority of her time now must be spent working hands on with me in instruction. 

Until this year, Ms. Manso and I have had a kind of choreography to our chores.  I handle all of the instruction, Lorena handles most of the book processing and most of the circulation of books, and we share lesson preparation tasks.  She shelves many more books than I do while I seem to be drowning in paperwork that I have to tend to.  But the way we have worked together has been a kind of library ballet. 

I am worried what the government guidelines will mean to the way we work in the library.  If you find books waiting to be shelved spilling out of the library into the main lobby at school, you will know that I am drowning in returned books that Lorena may not be allowed to shelve.  I appreciate your patience with the two of us and we adjust and adapt to the changes to our work.  And welcome any help with shelving!

No comments:

Post a Comment